1760—The first Protestant congregations in Montreal worshipped together in various chapels of the Roman Catholic Church.
1789-The first Christ Church was a former Jesuit church, given to the Anglican congregation by the government. It was near the court house on Notre Dame Street. It was destroyed by fire in 1803.
1814—Christ Church moved into its second building, also located on Notre Dame Street, just east of Place D’Armes.
1820—King George IV granted Christ Church proper letters patent, confirming its constitution as the parish church (and rectory) of Montreal.
1850—The Diocese of Montreal was officially proclaimed, and Christ Church became Christ Church Cathedral.
1856—Three hours after choir practice, the building was destroyed by fire. Church records and registers, one wall tablet, and the copy of Da Vinci’s »Last Supper » were all that were rescued.
1850—The first service was held in the new building, located on the present site, in what was then the countryside. The beautiful neogothic building was designed by British architect Frank Wills, who also designed Christ Church Cathedral, Fredericton.
1927—Removal of the 3.5 million-pound stone steeple.
1940-41—A replica steeple made entirely of aluminum was erected as an anonymous gift.
1980-81—The mechanical-action organ was built by Karl Wilhelm of Mount-St-Hilaire.
1987-8—The Cathedral, in partnership with the diocese of Montreal and the Canadian Bible Society, undertook a major development project that included an office tower and shopping mall connected to the Metro system.
1988 – The government of Quebec officially classifies Christ Church Cathedral as a historical monument.
1995—The Raoul Wallenberg monument was unveiled in the cloister garden behind the cathedral.
1999 – The government of Canada designates Christ Church Cathedral as a national historic site.
2014 – Architectural survey determines deterioration of spire requires immediate action. Repairs to masonry and interior walls also judged urgent.
- 30 –