Begun as the protestant congregation in Montreal in 1760 and officially designated as a parish in 1820, Christ Church was proclaimed a Cathedral in 1850 with the founding of the Anglican Diocese of Montreal. The now-familiar neo-gothic structure was built in 1859. It stands in the traditional territory of the Haudenosaunee and Anishinaabe peoples.
The red doors of Christ Church Cathedral on St Catherine St. West are open seven days a week. The church serves a growing and diverse congregation of all ages and offers an oasis of peace in the bustling city centre—welcoming tourists and Montrealers alike to find inspiration, social and spiritual support, or simply a quiet place to rest. It serves the Diocese of Montreal as well, and reaches out to the wider community through social service and social justice activities. In addition to regular worship services, the Cathedral hosts scores of cultural events each year.
For current news, important dates and an overview of the cathedral’s contribution to Montreal, please scroll down.